MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry announced the decision that they will be stepping back as “senior” royals on Wednesday evening causing heartbreak among some royal fans.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they will now “step back as ‘senior’ members” of the Royal Family and would split their time between the UK and North America. Moreover, in the statement released on their Sussex Royal Instagram account, the pair said they intended to “work to become financially independent”.
In the statement, posted on their Instagram page, the pair announced the decision had been made “after months of reflection and internal discussion”.
Following their statement, royal fans announced their disappointment over the couple’s decision to step back from their roles.
One said: “What is happening, I feel heartbroken.”
Another said: “Sad for Harry and the Royal Family and the British people.”
One user on Twitter commented: “Very sad that we are to lose a great Prince and ambassador for the UK.
“He has done great work especially for the younger members of our community.”
Another wrote: “Sad as Harry adds so much to the image of the Royal Family and Harry, William and Kate were such an uplifting trio and it would have been nice if Meghan could have augmented that group.
“Who knows the true back story.”
The decision from the pair comes months after they admitted their difficulties in coping with the media attention following their marriage.
In an ITV documentary during their tour of Africa in October, Meghan had admitted motherhood had been a “struggle”.
Moreover, the Duchess also revealed she was advised against a relationship with Harry due to the media attention she would receive.
In their statement on Wednesday evening, the pair added: “It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.“
In keeping with the disappointment that the two will be leaving, one online commentator wrote: “Such a shame for modern day royalists.”
Although some were disappointed, others also praised the Sussexes and wished them well in their future endeavours.
One said: “Bravo to you both! Harry your Mum would be proud!”
Another said: “Happy for you both, follow your hearts and do what’s best for you and your family.”
Before the announcement, the pair had recently returned from a six-week holiday where they visited Vancouver Island.
They had also spent time with Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland and close friend, Abigail Spencer who was her co-star on Suits.
On Tuesday, they conducted their first royal engagement as they visited Canada House.
While there Harry and Meghan met with the country’s High Commissioner, Janice Charette.
Following their six-week break, the Duke and Duchess thanked the country for the warmth and hospitality during their stay.